The Landscape Management Training program is designed to prepare candidates for landscape maintenance management positions through on-the-job experience of job duties from Gardener to Manager positions. Areas of training include turf grass management, pruning, pest control, irrigation repair, record keeping and customer relations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: To successfully fulfill this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for this job.
How would you like to be a part of a company that treats employees with dignity and respect? Cagwin and Dorward is a landscaping contractor that has built a culture around our values, collaboration and teamwork. We are a dynamic company that provides career opportunities combined with learning and growth. If you are looking for a long-term career, Cagwin might be the place for you!
Cagwin & Dorward is a full service landscape provider specializing in landscape maintenance, landscape construction, water management, and tree care for commercial, municipal and residential customers. From 15 local service centers, we serve the greater San Francisco Bay Area from Santa Rosa in the north, to Monterey in the south and east to Sacramento.
We value learning, respect, integrity, commitment, accountability, leadership, honor, courage and results.
1. Learn to coordinate, supervise, assist and train crew members in landscape maintenance operations utilizing the Company's horticultural practices and techniques. Train crews to work efficiently, within the allotted time budgeted for each account. Learn to monitor performance and conduct employee evaluations of crew members.
2. Works well with others in a team environment and is helpful and courteous to customers.
3. Successfully pass all company training (certification) requirements of this position and of the direct report personnel, to be able to fill any working direct report position (Gardener, Crew Leader & Irrigation Specialist) in the event of an absence.
4. Ensure crew members properly care for and use power equipment in accordance with OSHA safety regulations. Ensure equipment is in good operating order and crew members are trained in proper and safe operations.
5. Learn and submit site management reports as may be required. Respond to customer requests and telephone communications.
6. Assists in planning and scheduling routine maintenance and renovation work.
7. Possess and maintain a company planner.
8. Program, troubleshoot and repair irrigation controllers, field wiring and remote control valves.
9. Repairs breaks and leaks to mains, laterals and fittings. Make head height adjustment, arc and pattern throw adjustments. Cleans and maintains commonly used sprinkler heads.
10. Identify and control damaging insect, disease and weed pests.
11. Apply pesticides, baits, fertilizer and soil amendments for correct rate of applications. Instruct crew members in pest control safety.
12. Assist in equipment inventory.
13. Comply with all established company policies and procedures.
14. Will be provided through the course of work, confidential and proprietary information. In order to ensure the protection of this information, will be required to agree and sign a nondisclosure, noncompetition agreement.
15. Work five consecutive 8-hour days during assigned business hours, weather permitting, and is available to work overtime if requested.
1. Ability to lift and carry, push and pull 20-50 pounds of landscape material and equipment up to 6½ hours daily.
2. Ability to lift and carry on back a 30 pound blower 2-3 hours daily.
3. Ability to start and use all power equipment without aid from others.
4. Ability to walk/stand/squat/kneel up to 6½ hours daily.
5. Make frequent repetitive movements with the left and right hand, wrist, knee and ankle.
6. Ability to twist/turn/bend the trunk of the body frequently.
1. Perform similar job related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. Possess and utilize good interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with customers, employees and management.
2. Must be able to read and write English.
3. Successfully pass all company training (certification) requirements of this position and of the direct report personnel.
4. Must possess a valid California driver's license with a driving record acceptable to the Company's insurance carrier.
5. Bachelor's degree in the Agricultural Sciences or 30 semester units of agricultural related courses and two years of technical experience or equivalent field experience including customer communication.
WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING THIS POSITION'S ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Outdoor physical labor in temperatures ranging from cold 20°+ to heat of 100°+ and exposure to light rain.
2. Exposure to dust, pollen, chemicals, noise and pollutants related to the landscape industry (fertilizer, pesticide, etc.).
3. Machinery/equipment noise, traffic, and hazards related to the landscape industry in a busy commercial environment.